How to Get a Computer on TV With U-Verse
Television technology has come a long way since the days of rabbit ears. The lineup has grown from a handful of channels to hundreds. Over 90 percent of U.S. households subscribe to cable or satellite TV, according to Nielsen Research. Ancillary services including Internet and telephone can be bundled with television to work together in new ways. Even the remote control has become advanced, navigating emerging technologies like DVR and video on demand. With AT&T U-Verse's Media Share, subscribers can use the remote to access multimedia content from personal computers.
Things You'll Need
- AT&T U-Verse TV & Internet subscription
- PC with Windows operating system (XP Service Pack 2, Vista or 7)
- Windows Media Player 11
Check to confirm that your computer is connected to your home network through a wireless or Ethernet connection.
Check to see if Windows Media Player 11 is installed on your computer. If it is out of date or not installed, download the free software (see Resources).
Set your firewall to allow sharing over your network. Refer to your firewall software documentation for help. If you do not have firewall software, skip this step.
Open Windows Media Player 11. Click on the "Stream" button. Choose "Turn on media streaming."
Click "Turn on media streaming" in the box that pops up. A new window will appear; select "OK."
Go to your TV. Press the "Menu" button on the AT&T U-Verse remote control. Select the "Interactive" heading, then choose "Media Share" and press "OK."
Scroll up or down with your remote to highlight your computer from the list displayed onscreen. Press "OK" to select the computer.
Use your remote to choose photo or music categories from the displayed list. Press "OK" to make a selection.
Press "Pause" or "OK" to keep a photo on the screen when viewing pictures. Otherwise, the software's default setting will automatically go through a slideshow of available photos. Use your remote control to manage music playback. The play, pause, stop, skip, fast forward and rewind buttons control whatever song is currently playing.
Press "Menu" on the remote control to stop Media Share and return to the main screen in AT&T U-Verse TV.
Tips & Warnings
- To play photos and music at the same time, press the back button on the remote control after selecting a photo. Then choose your music from the list and the two will play simultaneously.
- Some rights-managed music files may not be available for streaming through Media Share due to content copyright restrictions.
References & Resources
- Broadcast Engineering: Nielsen: Broadcast-only TV households to slip below 10 percent
- AT&T U-Verse: Media Share Set Up Guide for PCs with Windows 7
- AT&T U-Verse Support: What is Media Share?
- AT&T U-Verse Support: How do I initialize Media Share on my AT&T U-verse TV receivers?
- AT&T U-Verse: Media Share Setup Guide for Windows 7 Users
- Windows Media Player 11