How to Install the Chrome Google Browser
You can download the Google Chrome installation file **for free** from Google’s Download Chrome Web page. To run Chrome efficiently, your computer must have an Intel Pentium 4 or later processor, 512MB of random access memory and a minimum of 350MB of free hard drive space. You can enhance your Chrome experience by signing in to your Google account, which gives you access to useful features -- such as the option to synchronize your Chrome information across all of your devices running the browser.
Install Google Chrome
Browse to the [Google Chrome Download](http://www.google.com/chrome/) page and then click the "Download Now" button to open the Google Chrome Terms of Service window.
Read the *terms of service* and then click the "Accept and Install" button. To make Google Chrome your default browser, click the "Set Google Chrome as My Default Browser" check box. To send crash reports and usage statistics to Google when Chrome malfunctions, select the "Help Make Chrome Better by Automatically Sending Usage..." check box. You can manage these two options at any time through the browser's Settings page.
Click "Run," "Save" or "Save File" depending on your browser. If prompted by the User Access Control feature, click "Yes" to install Chrome. If you downloaded the Chrome installer file, browse to the file's location and double-click it to install the browser.
Click the "Next" button when the browser launches after the installation process completes. If Chrome does not automatically launch, click the "Chrome" icon in the taskbar or the desktop to open the browser.
Select "Google Chrome" on the pop-up dialog box to set Chrome as the default program to open Web links. You can also choose to keep using your current program that opens Web links or select another program. The Set Up Chrome page opens after you select an option.
Enter your Google account credentials and then click the "Sign In" button to log in to your Google account. When you are signed in, you can access Google services, such as Gmail and Google Drive, without signing in to each service. In addition, when you sign in to the browser, you can synchronize your Chrome information -- such as bookmarks and extensions -- across multiple devices. Click the "Choose What to Sync" check box to select the information you want to sync. If you don't have a Google account, you can sign up for one on the [Create Your Google Account](https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?continue=https%3A%2F%2Faccounts.google.com%2FManageAccount) page.
Tips & Warnings
- To manage Chrome's settings, open the browser's Settings page. Click the Chrome "Customize and Control" button and then select "Settings" from the menu to open the Settings page. Select the option that you want to manage from the list of settings. For example, you can select Chrome's default search engine through the Search section of the Settings page. To access the browser's advanced settings, click "Show Advanced Settings."
- Use the Chrome alternate installer to download and simultaneously install the browser for all Windows user accounts on your computer (see Resources). You can use the installer to install Chrome for each Windows user account on the computer that you are signed in, however, you cannot use it to simultaneously install the browser on multiple computers and devices. You need administrative rights to perform a simultaneous user account installation of the browser.
- Chrome supports multiple Google user accounts on the same computer -- with each user retaining his individual Chrome settings and information. To add a new user to Chrome, click the current user account's name in the browser's upper right corner, click "Switch Person" and then click "Add Person."
References & Resources
- Google Chrome: Download and Install Google Chrome
- Google Chrome: Send Usage Statistics and Crash Reports
- Google Chrome: Why Sign in to Chrome
- Google Chrome: Manage Multiple Chrome Profiles
- Google Chrome: Install Chrome For All User Accounts
- Google: Download Now
- Google Chrome: Google Chrome Privacy Notice
- Google: Create your Google Account
- Google: Download Chrome - Alternate Installer